Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculation of gate resistor wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pv = Vg²*Cg*f (assuming unipolar gate drive and constant Cg). Interestingly it's independent of gate resistance.
aye, interesting.. and even more interesting is to think .. the resistor does not get a say in the equation but it takes practically ALL of the power dissipation! ha.

those pulse rating curves i understood them to be single pulse event with sufficient cool down period after.. while in a gate driver application it is continuous pulsing. so i thought those curves could not be used to determine resistor survivability. am i wrong?

those pulse rating curves i understood them to be single pulse event with sufficient cool down period after.. while in a gate driver application it is continuous pulsing. so i thought those curves could not be used to determine resistor survivability. am i wrong?
Both curves are for continuous pulsing, there are additional single pulse charts in the respective (Vishay) datasheets. The shown curves are missing a duty cycle specification, but for the small duty cyles under discussion they should fit anyway.

Hi deepakchikan
It is simple .
You know about Tr of your mosfet . ( rise time ) ( by datasheet )
Vc=1/C integral over ic dt ====> from zero up to tr ====> Vc=tr*ic/c ===> ic = Vc*c/tr for usual mosfets VGS=15 it will be turned on . so Vc=15 then required ic = 15*ciss/tr and of course it is inrush current . so required power of the series resistor with gate can be calculated according to this inrush current .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hello Goldsmith..

how to calculate the required current for the particular mosfets..

1) will there be total gate charge (drain-gate capacitance + gate to sorce capacitance)..??

2)some peoples are just telling that only ciss is necesaary.. will it be ok..

according to physics,
i=Q/T
Q Tends to total gate charge (then both cap should be there)
T=Tends to time required to charge above capacitance..

so equation will be i=total gate charge (Drain to Gate cap+Gate to Source cap)/Rising time

will above equation leads to right gate triggering of mosfets..??

smwot confused.. help needed.. Else mention some links of detailing
looking forward to hearing you soon..!!
Deepak C

*Trying to explore something in the Electronic Fields..Because i am just believing science not divine..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.