Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculate traces width, spacing base on impedance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s500

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb impedanc freeware

Hi guys. I want to know how to calculate traces width, spacing base on impedance?
Thanks for your help.

zo impedence

Hi,

There are a lot of free tools that can do the planar structure impedance calculation and synthesis work. What you want to know is the synthesis one. A simple way is to use some emprical design formulas available in many text books. You may also want to refer to: http://mcalc.sourceforge.net/index.html for some knowledge(see the selected reference section).

Regards,

zo impedance

thanks, but can you show me how to calculate for PCB layout?

calculate trace width

Hi,

Attached is a very good and user-friendly freeware for pcb trace impedance calculation and synthesis.

You may also want to see the following topics for impedance discussions.

si6000 appcad accurate

Dr Howard Johnson covers the kind of information you want in his books "High-Speed Digital Design-A Handbook of Black Magic" and " High-Speed Signal Propagation-Advanced Black Magic".

Look at the pages in the following URLs. There are equations that can be plugged into M@thC@d to calculate the sort of thing you are interested in. The results aren't as accurate as modeling in one of the high speed synthesis programs, but they get you in the ballpark for most real world problems.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

how to calculate trace width from a stack up?

What you need is Hyperyinx to help you. Very good program. A common impedance is 50 Ohms. I usually choose a trace width of 10mil above a plane, then use Hyperlynx and the layer stack. Hyperlynx field solver will calculate the required stack up spacings to achieve the target impedance.

software to calculate trace impedance

Hello,

In Allegro (a part of the latest ORCAD) there is build in function to calculate resistance, impedance and capacitance of the the wires.

So, you just need to load your design into Allegro and run the calculator.

Regards
Luben

trace width calculation

Hi,

As I've mentioned, basically there are two aspects of impedance related problems:
1. Impedance calculation:
known the phyical parameters such as dielectric thickness, dielectric constant, trace width etc to get the electrical (or so called technical) parameter (here is impedance).
2. Impedance synthesis:
target for certain specified impedance value, say, 50Ohm or 100Ohm, what we need to know is what kind of combinations of physical(or so-called geometrical) parameters such as trace width, dielectric thickness etc can give us the targeted value. This is so-called impedance synthesis.
A lot of freeware and commercial package can do a good job. However, some of them can only have the "impedance calculation function" and some have both the "calculation" and "synthesis" function. And some of them based on analytical method(using empirical equations) such as Tline, LineCalc inside Agilent ADS and some are EM quasi-static field solvers such as Hyperyinx, Ansoft Q3D/2D, Polar Si6xx series etc.
For general purpose use, most of the freewares can do a good job for you such as the one I posted, the one from Agilent: AppCAD http://www.hp.woodshot.com/ and bunches of tools from the website.

how to calculate the impedance of a trace

will the impedence of the circuit change if i provide a ground pour on the top routing layer and bottom routing layer?

binu g

agilent +impedance +calculator +freeware

There are many program for this, like Agilent APPCAD..., it's free,you can download.

impedance trace width spacing

jackyqiu said:
There are many program for this, like @gilent APPCAD..., it's free,you can download.
Please read the post carefully. no useless post.
its a common answer you have given.
not the solution.
binu g

linecalc ads download free

Microstrip Impedance Value

Zo = (87 / Sqr(Er + 1.41) * Log(5.98 * H / (0.8 * W + T))

Embedded Microstrip Impedance Value

Zo = (60 / Sqr(Er * (1-Exp(-1.55*(H+W+T)/H)) * Log(5.98 * H / (0.8 * W + T))

Stripline Impedance Value

Zo = 60 / Sqr(Er) * Log(1.9*(2*H+T)/(0.8W+T))

where

Zo Impedance

Er Dielectric Constant

H Dielectric Thickness 1

B Dielectric Thickness 2

W Conductor Width

T Copper Wire Thickness

how do i calculate the impedance of a trace

Hi,
This é a simple electronic sheet that will allow you setting up of the parameters to calculate the dimension of your tracks.

Added after 3 minutes:

Ops, I have not inserted the attached one

calculate impedance two wires

I agree APPCAD is good and free. I believe MWO (ARL) have a free one too. Or
it comes with the trial version of MicroWave Office. But I would also suggest
that you think about using Rogers board and their line calc.

www.rogers-corp.com/mwu/mwi_java/mwij_vp.html

Hope this helps
Cheer

trace impedancecalculation

Polar Instrument's SI6000 is the best choice!
I designed a impedence controlled PCB with it, it is really very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back