Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadstar sheet borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster munch

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I am new to this forum site, so sorry if this has been posted before, but I can't find any information.
I am also new to Cadstar, but not Zuken E3. I want to import my company standard sheet border in DXF format into Cadstar so I can do my designs and layouts to company standards.
In E3 it's easy-peasy, both Zuken products, but Cadstar is completely different when it comes to importing a sheet border.
Any help gratefully recieved.

Kind regards
Monster munch

Importing your sheet borders is easy.

There are instructions on how to do this and lots more good stuff for your sheet borders here have a good read.

Any problems ask - if needs be I can do it for you but would prefer that you learn how to do it. (it only takes a few minutes - honest).

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Mattylad,
unfortunately my IT Dept. has blocked the website that you provided.
Could you tell me the tabs I have to click to at least start to import the border?
I have tried loads, just can't see it!
Kind regards
JJ

I have copied it here for you.

I take it that the border you want to bring into CADSTAR will be used on both schematic and PCB designs.

So what you are going to do is make a "Document symbol", this can be used on all designs.
This is NOT a schematic symbol or PCB Component.
And the number of designs I have seen where they have been redrawn or copied and pasted in every time is huge!

Use "File\New" and start a new "Document Symbol" then use "File\Import File" and change the type of file to DXF.

Browse and select your DXF file (it cannot be open in another program at the same time).

You will need to make a mapping file, this is used to tell CADSTAR what layer in the DXF objects are that need importing into CADSTAR.

Select"Create Map" and name it, then select "Edit Map" and select the units the DXF was drawn in, what layer the figures of your sheet border are on for the "outline" and what layer the text is on.

If they are on the same layer, not to worry you just run this twice and change it in the mapping file.

Do some measurement checks to ensure that you have chosen the correct units/scale.

Then when all done, tidy it up if needs be, set the thickness of the lines (if any lines do not appear, check your assignments for any of zero size) also be aware that the fonts used in the DXF may not match those that are installed and available in CADSTAR so you may have to change the text codes.

Once all is OK then save it into your documentation library for use on your drawings.

To use it simply use Add\Doc Symbol from the menu, select it, choose the scale (usually 1:1) and add it.

N.B. the DXF must not contain blocks or splines - plain old text and polylines only.

Hi thanks for the info, I am even more confused now.
I managed to save the border as a document symbol.
I have even managed to place this into the design, but I have a few questions:
How do you add text to the symbol? for example adding your name in the design box. I know that you can float some text in there, but this to me is not very good.
Also how do I know what size this border actually is? What scaling is applied?
I ask this, because in Zuken E3, you can right click the sheet and add attributes, these are placed in the pre-assigned positions on the sheet, easy. Also the dxf import can be scaled to be any size A0, A1 etc. Again easy. I can't see how this is done in Cadstar.
Regards
Monster Munch

It is common practice to set up a template file with border and text already added, for each required sheet size. You add the border, then add any extra or editable text you want, then when you create a schematic you load the required template and away you go.

Go to the link I gave and read it all.

It tells you all about it.

Reactions: marce

marce

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back