Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence PCB Editor - where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clredwolf

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cadence pcb editor

I've taken on a project where I have to use Cadence Allegro for my designs. I've already created a schematic in Capture CIS, and am ready to start the PCB design process. Unfortunately, this is my first time using PCB Editor (I've used OrCAD Layout up until now, but my experience with PCB software in general is a bit lacking). I'm really lost as to what I should be doing, and feel that I need some sort of good tutorial or quickstart guide to get me started.

I've been using http://www.referencedesigner.com/tutorials, and I've created a board and have some footprints/symbols ready to go. I'm stuck after that though, I have no idea how import my .dra and .psm files into my board file, and start placing them as symbols. I don't know how to associate my parts in the board with the files. I think though that what I really need is just a good primer on Allegro. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

cadence pcb editor tutorial

Maybe I have a different problem than I expected. After trying the tutorial all the way through, it gets stuck at placing parts too! It seems that Allegro isn't finding my parts. The refdes's show up in the Manual Place window, but they have no graphic for them and have a pincount of zero. When I go to place the part, I get a crosshair, but the part will not place and the crosshair does not disappear. I'm not sure what's going on here!

pcb editor tutorial

hi there,

you need to specify the location of the symbol file. psm file and pad file in user preferences>> design path>>pad path and psm path.

make sure there is no space or any character in the file names that cadence does not support.
after doing this you will be able to place your parts

hope this help.

Ricky

cadence pcb tutorial

Ahh, I have already switched to using OrCAD layout after failing to get allegro design to work. I didn't realize that about spaces in the file names, that could be a factor. I've already almost completed the design in layout though, but thanks for the help, I'll see if that works when I get some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back