Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

buying FPGA Board????

Status
Not open for further replies.

buts101

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
but which one???

I'm 4th year student doin electronics engineering. I like to learn to handle and program FPGA devices but my campus has no such device. So I'm will insist my campus to buy one deives. But myself being begineer in it, I don't know a lot about FPGA. I heard some development board of Xilinx and other too.

Please help me to understand the FPGA devices and its importances and recommend me which FPGA board should I insist my campus to buy.

Looking forward for your help.

Thank you.

well, i will highly recommend the Altium LiveDesign Evaluation Kit

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

or you can choose the famous Xilinx Spartan-3 Starter Kit

**broken link removed**

the good news about the Xilinx Kit is that now it comes bundled with the CPLD Design Kit for the same price.

both these kits are priced at $99 (excluding taxes and shipping charges) and both have only evaluation versions of the softwares that are needed to program these boards.

there is also the upcoming Xilinx Spartan 3E Starter Kit

**broken link removed**

this looks like a really nice kit. but it is expensive than the above two ($149) and i think it isnt available yet so nobody has used it. but if you know about FPGA design, that wont be a problem.

now, the reason that i chose the altium kit over the xilinx kit is that at the time when i was hunting for a nice kit, the xilinx kit didnt come with the CPLD kit and the second reason is that the altium kit comes with a XC3S400-4FG456C whereas the xilinx kit comes with a XC3S200-4FT256C. and the altium kit has more features than the xilinx kit such as the onboard DAC and speakers etc.

so the choice is yours!

i hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.