Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost voltage?Capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauthamtechie

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In order to boost voltage levels, capacitor banks are used right? I need to know if it boosts because the capacitor utilizes the reactive power to efficient real power use? if that statement is entirely incorrect, pls help me relate this statement "capacitor does not allow sudden change in voltage" to the boosting of voltage through capacitor banks.. ?

is there any info on this page https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_4/2.html that you can pinpoint to, which will help me interrelate the information?

Capacitors can not "boost" AC power. They can tune out any inductance in a load so that more power can flow. Capacitors are used to "boost" DC voltages, by taking a pulse from somewhere and letting it charge the capacitor to more then the supply voltage. This relies on the storage ability of capacitors.
Frank

what about AC? In long AC transmission lines, ferranti effect occurs due to formation of a distributed shunt capacitance between the transmission line and earth right? So in terms of seeking an explanation involving reactive power, can you tell me how that actual increases the receiving end voltage? - Because i read an explanation with reactive power but couldn't comprehend well.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back