Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Books covering the basics of harmonic reject mixers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souljah44

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I'm new to RF design and could use a book covering the math and basics of harmonic rejection mixers.

I'd appreciate it if someone could suggest one to me.
Google search returns papers that assume prior experience in the field already. I'm really looking for introductory material on the subject.

Thanks.

I doubt that you will find a book that covers only mixers.

But basically there are two very different methods to mix (modulate) one signal with another.
Switching mixers just use one signal to violently chop the other completely on and off, the only problem with that is a lot of harmonics and high order products are produced by the very abrupt switching process.
The other way to do it is by using true linear modulation, where there should be no harmonics generated if the multiplying process is truly linear.

After a quick search, this is the best I could find:
https://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/47-06/multipliers_modulators.html

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt that you will find a book that covers only mixers.

But basically there are two very different methods to mix (modulate) one signal with another.
Switching mixers just use one signal to violently chop the polarity of the other signal, the only problem with that is a lot of odd harmonics are produced by the very abrupt switching process.
The other way to do it is by using true linear modulation, where there should be no harmonics generated if the multiplying process is truly linear.

After a quick search, this is the best I could find:
https://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/47-06/multipliers_modulators.html

Hi Tony,
Do you have any information on harmonic rejection per se? This is what I've gathered from reading around: LO is delayed and advanced by 45 deg (the amplitudes are also scaled to sqrt(2)) and mixed with the incoming signal. So we essentially have three LOs 45 degrees apart mixing with the incoming signal. And since the LOs are differential, the even order harmonics are suppressed leaving us with the odd number of harmonics. We sum the output of all three mixers together to reconstruct the output. The 3rd and 5th order harmonics cancel. The 7th and 9th don't cancel but their levels are so low compared to the fundamentals that they matter less. The description is however very high level and is confined to just half a paragraph. More details on the subject would be nice.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce, This is something I have never read about and have no knowledge of.
But a four quadrant analgue multiplier type of mixer should not generate any harmonics in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back