Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bogus TV repair firm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux-dude

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was lazy and left a Toshiba LCD TV for repair. I asked to get any replaced parts returned, and got an i2c 4k eeprom in my hand when i picked up the TV. The TV is about 2 years old, but I suspect this eeprom is from 2004 (K043Q), which makes no sense. But maybe i read the date marking wrong?

eeprom.png

I looked for ST date marking codes, but found nothing. Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hi,

I can´t thelp with the date code.

But EEPROMs wear out when too often erased/rewritten.
So it is possible that this was the problem. How likely? I don´t know.

Klaus

Hi,

Not adding anything useful, the 240C2W is NRND, and 4WP absent from the list entirely, but when you look at the datasheet, the lower code on that IC appears to be unrelated to dates, and more to package format and device grade, may be different for the 4WP, 'though.

ST web 24C search results

Really, given that ICs can be usable for years, would it matter much anyway, besides curiosity, so long as the TV was returned fully functional? :)

Hi,

I can´t thelp with the date code.

But EEPROMs wear out when too often erased/rewritten.
So it is possible that this was the problem. How likely? I don´t know.

Klaus

The issue was that the unit reports "USB over current " intermittent (despite we /never/ use USB) while I noticed that the LED indicator in the front lost a bit luminance when this happen. I would suspect this is due to either a faulty PSU or something else drawing excess current. Might a eeprom with ESD fault exhibit this behavior?

Hi,

Not adding anything useful, the 240C2W is NRND, and 4WP absent from the list entirely, but when you look at the datasheet, the lower code on that IC appears to be unrelated to dates, and more to package format and device grade, may be different for the 4WP, 'though.

ST web 24C search results

Really, given that ICs can be usable for years, would it matter much anyway, besides curiosity, so long as the TV was returned fully functional? :)

I looked again at the data sheet, but can't see where the lower code is explained? Where did you find it? I must be blind :)

What's more, i have to go back with the unit. It showed same symptoms again :/

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that... The lower code is explained on page 36; as mentioned previously, it's the 2W, not 4WP, datasheet, but it does seem the same device, different version, NRND makes me speculate without any evidence whatsoever that the 4WP may have been eliminated earlier, so maybe it is an old(er) part some-one had in stock or was the "equivalent(-ish) part."

I try to stick to manufacturer datasheet links where possible, maybe some of the other datasheet webs have the ST 4WP sheet (bet you a cup of tea or similar that it'll have "obsolete" stamped across it), and you can check the lower code there.

Most likely a usb port is physically damaged or a piece of a usb plug is still in the jack. Seems like the repair shop would check that.
Not sure what that would have to do with an eeprom. Did they get it fixed for you?

Larry G

...i have to go back with the unit. It showed same symptoms again...

I hope the disease has been cured and the patient is back home!

But I also would love to know what exactly happened!!

Status
Not open for further replies.