Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic semiconductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinnie

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In an n-type semiconductor, the n-type impurity( say P) makes bond with the neighboring Si atoms and gives off 1 electron. Though it loses 1 electron but still its octet is complete, so why P atom considered to be a +ve ion?

The n impurity has 5 electrons in the outermost shell. four are used to bond with the neighbor Si atoms. This results in one free electron for conduction. The n impurity is then called donor.
A p inpurity has 3 electrons in the outermost shell. This leaves one of the 4 bounds of the neighbor Si atom unoccupied. This unoccupied bound is free to move and it is called a hole. Electrons and holes free to move make possible the conduction of a current. The p impurity is called acceptor because it grabs an electron from a Si atom.
In both cases the impurities became ionized. The acceptor being a negative ion and the donor a positive ion.

Last edited:

In an n-type semiconductor, the n-type impurity( say P) makes bond with the neighboring Si atoms and gives off 1 electron. Though it loses 1 electron but still its octet is complete, so why P atom considered to be a +ve ion?

Basically what happens is that an n type impurity(say P) loses one electron and so it become deficient to neutral state by "1" and thus it becomes a positive +ve ion.. I hope it makes sense.. !!

And, Please let me know if I'm wrong.. !!

Thanks Albert & Ashubrads but I want to ask is why P atom becomes positive when its octet is complete( even after losing the electron). It should be neutral ,right?

The donnor has 5 electrons but only 4 are bonded to the Si atoms. With little energy (i.e from temperature) it becomes free leaving 4 out of 5 electrons for the impurity it is then a positive ion.
The acceptor only fills 3 bonds with the Si atoms. So there is a unoccupied bond on one of the Si atoms, which grabs an electron from somewhere else. Adding an extra electron to the 3 of the acceptor. The impurity becomes a negative ion with the 4 bounds occupied.
Hope that this helps.

A P atom is pentavalent in nature but it can have only 4 electrons bonded with silicon which is quadrivalent. So under the external influence like temperature,photon excitation etc (even if energy is very low) it loses it's single unbonded electron( 1 electron is left unbonded after forming bonds with silicon) and thus it becomes a positive ion.

i hope it must have given you complete answers and if you need further more info,then please post.

Even though P has its octec complete.in a covalent bond the two atoms are said to share 1 electron to form a single covalent bond.Now following this analogy ,if P atom bonds with 4 different C atom to complete its octec which makes it non reactive or inert gas configuration.The atomic number (P= 15 number of protons) is charge in the nucleus but the number of electrons that P effectively holds is (2,8,4) charge of outer shells is 14.So the net charge of the atom is (+15+(- 14) =+1).I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.