Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics engineer in the field of manufacturing (semiconductors, ICs etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninnaclarisse

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Our homework requires us to interview an electronics engineer in the field of materials science, and one of the jobs closely related to this is those working on semiconductors and ICs. I have a few questions regarding this, and it would be beneficial if you can message me here!

It is not correct to get your homework done by others. I consider this as cheating because it puts others at a considerable disadvantage.

hi! I am not asking for them to do my homework, I am simply asking if they can share their experience in the said field as it was required in our assessment to interview an engineer.
It is not correct to get your homework done by others. I consider this as cheating because it puts others at a considerable disadvantage.

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 72

Hi,

Just ask your questions and see what happens.

Klaus

Hi,

Just ask your questions and see what happens.

Klaus
Hi!! Here are my questions regarding your profession as an electronics engineer in the field of materials science:

Firstly, What is your name and current occupation? How long have you been in these fields?

Secondly, being an engineer offers a lot of job opportunities; what made you choose this field? What were the influences that made you choose it?

Also, how can an electronics engineer have a job in the field of materials science? What does your job entail? What skills are the most useful to you? In what areas did you find difficult when you first had this job?

Would you recommend the field of materials science to future electronics engineer? Why?

Lastly, what is the most fulfilling part of your job?

I look forward to hearing from you!

How long have you been in these fields?

Whenever you ask a question, be as specific as you can. So, ask by name: for example, in the field of material science.

Now, material science is a very broad area; if you have some other specific area in mind, put it here.

I can say that I have not worked or held a job in this specific area but I have some interest in this area for a long time. I have taught and studied in this area.

So it helps being specific here again: ask about work experience, studies or course work, trainings, research etc.

being an engineer offers a lot of job opportunities; what made you choose this field?

I have always been interested in materials!! (this is a personal question because whatever may be the answer, you have to accept that)

You should rather ask: material science is a vast area to master; what exactly you can contribute to our organization?

By the way, I consider that job opportunities are poor in ALL areas equally (more or less) because the system adjusts proportionately.

Would you recommend the field of materials science to future electronics engineer

I shall stress on the fundamentals. Like:

1. Is the candidate willing to learn new tools and techniques?Would you recommend the field of materials science to future electronics engineer
2. Is the candidate has a good grasp of the basics?
3. Can the applicant read a circuit diagram and explain it quickly (without referring to books)?
4. Has he broad interest in the area?
5. Can the candidate explain a low pass filter? Norton's theorem? Operation of a transistor?

Yes, it is not difficult to be an electronics engineer. You only need to study well.

Thank you so much for replying!

You have mentioned that you teach materials science, and surely you have read a lot of researches. What areas in material science do you think still needs improvement and more studies to be conducted by an electronics engineer?

In teaching materials science, what topics do your students find difficult to grasp? Do you have any book recommendations regarding materials science?

You have mentioned that materials science is a vast subject, in what areas of it should a future electronics engineer focus?

Can you please state examples of job opportunities for an electronics engineer in the field of materials science, aside from teaching?

You have mentioned that you teach materials science,

This is not true in real life, and I was talking virtually. At this moment, I am retired from teaching and research. I still review papers for publications.

In real life, I have interviewed many but none in the field of electronic engineers.

A large number of electronic engineers currently perform tasks that are repetitive and intellectually boring in my personal opinion.

Design and development, at several levels of electronic devices, are more challenging and are interesting.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide examples of job opportunities: they fluctuate (like stock market) in space and time.

Your input is highly appreciated, thank you so much!

I have not encountered many materials science degreed
engineers in my time in semiconductors. This includes a
long while at a "first wave" semi house which was very
much self sufficient (from mask fab to wafer production,
glass shop for the fab lines' furnaces, assembly, analytical
lab - from raw materials to field returns, all in-house).

You'd find materials science in play in the packaging group
(but generally a mechanical engineer with some base in
technical ceramics would be preferred - object is to get
it done, not noodle over its finer points), at the analytical lab
(where knowing how to take things apart involves the
materials of construction), -maybe- some interest in the
materials fab (complex SOI starting wafers processed from
blank Cz generic wafers).

All of these are supporting roles with not much headcount,
not compared to the product development and production
armies.

Advanced packaging is probably the brightest point as far
as opportunities. 2.5D / 3D integration and high density
heterogeneous modules / substrates will need materials
improvement, development, qualification up front. But
I doubt that materials science / metallurgy is all they'd
be looking for. More likely a BSME/MSME with heavy
concentration in materials properties and engineering
electives, or a dual major.

As a circuit designed I have made occasional use of my
one course in Mat/Met, supplemented by on demand
Googling. It's a sliver of what product development
wants.

I have not encountered many materials science degreed
engineers in my time in semiconductors. This includes a
long while at a "first wave" semi house which was very
much self sufficient (from mask fab to wafer production,
glass shop for the fab lines' furnaces, assembly, analytical
lab - from raw materials to field returns, all in-house).

You'd find materials science in play in the packaging group
(but generally a mechanical engineer with some base in
technical ceramics would be preferred - object is to get
it done, not noodle over its finer points), at the analytical lab
(where knowing how to take things apart involves the
materials of construction), -maybe- some interest in the
materials fab (complex SOI starting wafers processed from
blank Cz generic wafers).

All of these are supporting roles with not much headcount,
not compared to the product development and production
armies.

Advanced packaging is probably the brightest point as far
as opportunities. 2.5D / 3D integration and high density
heterogeneous modules / substrates will need materials
improvement, development, qualification up front. But
I doubt that materials science / metallurgy is all they'd
be looking for. More likely a BSME/MSME with heavy
concentration in materials properties and engineering
electives, or a dual major.

As a circuit designed I have made occasional use of my
one course in Mat/Met, supplemented by on demand
Googling. It's a sliver of what product development
wants.
Thank you for sharing your experience from your industry! This has been really helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.