Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic MOS amp question: Finding dc output voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEPC

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have a basic MOS common-drain amplifier as described below:

- Drain connected to 5 V DC
- Gate connected to an AC source on top of a 3 V DC source
- Source connected to a 200 uA current source with a resistor R connected in parallel. The parallel connection goes to ground, and the output voltage (Vo) is taken across resistor R.

If R approaches infinity, I heard someone explain that Vo > 3 - Vt - (Vgs - Vt)

where Vt = thermal voltage.

I'm not understanding how to get to this expression, because I had simply thought: Vo = 3 - Vgs, since it's just the voltage applied at the gate minus gate-to-source voltage. I'm not sure where the Vt comes from in the expression above.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Hi eepc
Well I first of all would like to tell u that Vt is actually threshold voltage of the mos not thermal voltage and this topology is also called source follower whose output dc voltage will be equal to 3 - Vth because a source follower o/p follows the i/p voltage and to turn the mos on the condition is that Vgs>Vth so Vs < Vg - Vth or u can say that Vs can be at the max equal to Vg - Vth
I hope U will find this post helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back