Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Average current of sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyassin

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have a question regarding the attached page from "RF Power Amplifiers". On the given page which deals with a class D amplifier, the average current or DC through the is calculated with the equation in (4.78).

I dont understand why the result is the peak amplitude divided by pi?
Should it not be (2/pi)*peak?

Thank you

Attachments

• RF Power Amplifier.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 125

for a class D the input current is in lumps - as the D goes from 0% ( or 50% ) pwm to max ( say 98% ) back to 0% ( or 50% depending on how its done ) so the current supplied is less than the ave of a sine wave - which is rms x 1.111, the modulation of the D makes it Ipk / pi

= Irms x sqrt(2) / pi = 0.45 x Irms - quite a saving, the L carries the current when the switch is off ...

for a class D the input current is in lumps - as the D goes from 0% ( or 50% ) pwm to max ( say 98% ) back to 0% ( or 50% depending on how its done ) so the current supplied is less than the ave of a sine wave - which is rms x 1.111, the modulation of the D makes it Ipk / pi

= Irms x sqrt(2) / pi = 0.45 x Irms - quite a saving, the L carries the current when the switch is off ...

Thank you for the answer.
I am still not sure I follow. If I consider to calculate the average current(DC) for a sine wave (to get the power supply current), I follow the the equation given in (4.78) in my attached link. Then the DC component is calculated by integrating only the half sinewave. I think this is also what is shown in the equation by changing the integration from 2*pi to 0 too pi to 0. But then it is still averaged over 2*pi. Should this not be just pi?
I can see you arrive at the same result (Ipk/pi), but not sure how to get there?

Maybe I get it now :)

Because the class D when operating at 50% duty-cycle is only supplying current 50% at the time, the integration time from pi to 2*pi is zero and therefore the result is Ipk*pi instead of Ipk*(2/pi). Also according to equation (4.77) in the attachment.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back