Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

audio spectrum - need help with the Matlab code

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleheadyu

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
audio spectrum spikes

Hi,

I am trying to analyze the spectrum of an audio .wav file which was recorded by someone else.
The .wav file has two tracks in it, so I just used one of them. The sampling rate is indicated in the file properties as 44 kHz.
I wrote the Matlab code as below:

sound=wavread('081029_08.wav');
a=sound:),1);
b=abs(fftshift(fft(a)));
N=length(b);
Fs=44000;
f=(Fs/N)*(-N/2+1:N/2);
plot(f,b);

The spectrum seems strange, the spike is at f=0...
Can anyone explain the reason for me? I attached the .wav file with this post.

Thanks in advance!

Yuping

audio spectrum + wavread

I don't have Matlab. So I used the spectrum analyser in my pc and my ears instead.

It is wind hitting the diaphragm of a microphone and producing DC (the spike at f=0) and extremely low frequencies.

Since most of the peaks are at the same level then I think the mic or the preamp is clipping.

Re: audio spectrum

I agree with Audioguru. Seems to be wind hitting a microphone. The final part of the record is definitely clipped and also shows a poor low frequency response of the pre-amp.

Re: audio spectrum

The spectrum seems strange, the spike is at f=0
If the input signal isn't exactly DC-free, it's rather normal, not strange. Simply remove the DC component and examine the remaining spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back