Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audible voltmeter indivating 5V by sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrbmd22

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
talking voltmeter

Hello,

I am a nube to this post, so I hope I'm in the right section.

My son has a friend who is legally blind and asked me to build him an "audible" voltmeter. For example, if he is testing a 5VDC circuit, he would set the alarm to "5" and a buzzer would sound when the voltmeter read 5VDC. It would not sound at 4 VDC or 6 VDC. I'm stumped on this one. I think it may require a microprocessor. The closest thing I can find on line is a "Volt minder" that allows you to set an alarm within a range of 10 - 13.5VDC. I want something with a greater range, say 3 to 15 VDC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Re: Audible voltmeter

Kripton2035,

I saw that in my web search. Two things: 1) it doesn't have a way to set an alarm (though you might not need one if you hear the voltage); 2) it costs $200 which is a bit beyond my range for this project! Thanks for the help!

Audible voltmeter

the speech ic (or module) will need a microcontroler to actually read the voltage and transform it into a string of numbers that will feed the speech ic.
so it is that microcontroler that will target an alarm if necessary.

cmos, theses chips are really nice and far cheaper than my module !!!!

I actually finally found a talking voltmeter that utilizes a PIC microcontroller. See

**broken link removed**

Thanks for all of your input!

I wonder how the PWM generated speech will sound like. Can you post the audio samples after you have constructed it?

I am working on two projects, along with some non-electronic projects. When I get all of the parts and breadboard it, I will gladly record its speech and upload it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back