Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are nanophysics devices the new direction in technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamicdude

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
nanophysics

Hi all,

I am an Electronics graduate and I wonder if these nanophysics devices will ever make it to the technology industry. Can anyone please throw light on the future of these nanodevices. Is it practically feasible. Are they performance wise effective than CMOS and BJT.

Re: nanophysics

I think it is feasible. We will be able to see the nano device in memory industry first.

I guess Nanotech is already there in the use. 130nm ... 90 nm..... 65 nm ... and now they are going as low as 35 nm. A human RBC is 6000- 8000 nm while an HIV is 120 nm. The only problem with 45 nm technology is that at such low levels electrons tend to jump tracks hence a certain level of insulation is needed. If Moore's law is to be followed then we need to get to Nano and they have already made transistors out ot CNT .... so theres hope.

Well from science point of view there certainly is an advantage. IBM was one of the leading companies researching on one type of Nano Devices i.e Josephson Junctions right after its development when the market was hit and taken by storm by the transistors. The growth and market economice made it uneconomical for the Josephson Junctions to compete at that point in time. However at present Transistor technolgy is almost at the dead end and instead of making transistors smaller, a new typ eof device is required and that is where Jospehson Junctions come in.

Normal Semiconductors require more power as compared to JJ. JJ needs power in the range od Mili volts to switch and hence they produce less heat and can be packed more densly. At the same time JJ are the basic budiding block of Squids which are being investigated for the production of Quantum COmputing.

Having said that, keep in mind that we require a major breakthrough for the JJ and Squids to operate at room temp and hence there are technological difficulties from converting from Science to Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back