Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

are file shareing programs illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeTB

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
are the programs like limewire and ares that allow open-ended file shareing illegal... i have heard that they are and that there not from different and i was wondering

Actually this topic is a little confusing.

They are illegal in the sense that a person shares all the music, softwares etc. hence providing illegal copies to people all over the world.

But those who say it is legal say that once a person buys something (specially music, not software) then he shares it with his friends,family and other people. So they say that this sharing is also like that. (it is not illegal to lend your CDs that you bought to your friends and other peopl.) So sharing online is another form of that.

But i personally think it is illegal. Sharing your purchases with a few people(friends,family etc.) is a different thing. Sharing it with the whole world is definitely piracy and illegal.

Hope you get the point.

JoeTB

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
so if a police officer came to my house, saw a file shareing program on my computer, then i would be prosecuted for piracy?

JoeTB said:
so if a police officer came to my house, saw a file shareing program on my computer, then i would be prosecuted for piracy?

Not really. They can't

JoeTB

That depends on the laws of your country.

There is no such law, but some place they can arrest you for no reason

JoeTB

edaguy69 said:
There is no such law, but some place they can arrest you for no reason

i agree, there are many places in this world where you can get arrested for no reason :)

when i mentioned laws of a country i meant the piracy laws in general. I know you can't be arrested for using a file sharing program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back