Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone used FTDI FT232BM with PIC before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
3v ftdi serial

Hi all, hv anyone of u tried this chip before? Do I need to use a MAXIM 232 chip in between of this chip and PIC?

No, you don't. Max 232 is required to convert serial signals from uC (which are 0-5V or 0-3V) to +/- 15V required by RS232 interface (PC DB9 or DB25 connector for example). In your case, you have to connect the VCCIO pin from FT232 (which is the power pin for serial inputs/outputs) to the power supply of PIC, then connect directly all the signals you need.

/pisoiu

pisoiu said:
No, you don't. Max 232 is required to convert serial signals from uC (which are 0-5V or 0-3V) to +/- 15V required by RS232 interface (PC DB9 or DB25 connector for example). In your case, you have to connect the VCCIO pin from FT232 (which is the power pin for serial inputs/outputs) to the power supply of PIC, then connect directly all the signals you need.

/pisoiu
Why do I have to connect the VCCIO pin from FT232 to the power supply of PIC? I have an external power for the PIC itself.

VCCIO is powered with the power supply of the circuit interfaced with the datalines of FT232. The power supply of FT232 must be 5V, therefore you will connect it to 5V from USB or from external power supply. But the circuit wired to datalines can work on diffrent voltage (ex. 3,3V). If the interfaced circuit works on 5V, then put 5V on VCCIO. If the external circuit works on 3,3V, then put 3,3 on VCCIO.

/pisoiu

Edited: The FTDI site contains application schematics with interfaces to various microcontrollers, take a look there.

Have a glance here : ;)
**broken link removed**
regards,

manu said:
h**p://164.15.88.56/
regards,
Thanks but I dont know France!!!
Most of the posts in the forum are in France.

Hi

You can translate by using altavista. The English is not perfect but understandable.

Cl

ericmar said:
manu said:
h**p://164.15.88.56/
regards,
Thanks but I dont know France!!!
Most of the posts in the forum are in France.

Hi,
look the projetcs of the webmaster, they're available in french and english :wink:
regards,

hello

y use USBMOD3 of ELEXOL, its so easy to send data to the USART of the pic 16F876 (MFC Dlpvcc2 dll FTD2XX )

bye (Angeliz french)

SphinX said:
Salam,

h**p://www.voti.nl/usb-1/index.html

Bye
Salam,

Yes! I'm using this! But the problem is I dunno where to start and how to combine this with PIC!!!

ericmar said:
SphinX said:
Salam,

h**p://www.voti.nl/usb-1/index.html

Bye
Salam,

Yes! I'm using this! But the problem is I dunno where to start and how to combine this with PIC!!!

Use the serial module of your PIC :?

I´ve tasted FTDI chips up to 1MBps in XP,WIN98, and WINME. Results: A GREAT and CHEAP chip. I´ve followed application notes from FTDI website, they are really cookbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.