Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any special considerations for designing a comparator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan76

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
comparator sensitivity simulation

I want to design a high speed comparator(around 1ns@1.2V/150C for 0.15um process).
The max input swing is 100mv,input common voltage is VCC.
The output should be full swing.

Design constraint:speed,power,area

what simulations should I do besides the .dc and .tran simulation to guarantee its first-cut work?

Thanks in advance!

regards,
jordan76

I think offset and kickback should be consider carefully too.

kyrandia,

Thanks for your reply! I agree with you, but could you tell me something more in detail about how to simulate offset and kickback effect in HSPICE?

regards,
jordan76

For comparator, the offset mainly come from mismatch. It can't be simulated, but can be calculated. The fab factory should provide you the related parameter.

To simulate the kickback, your input source must not be ideal. These should have impedance.

kyrandia is right about the kickback noise simulation. However, in what concerns the offset, he probably forgot that you can (and should) do Monte-Carlo simulations.

Thanks to kyrandia and maxwellequ!

Could anyone give me some simple spice deck examples on the kickback and offset issues? Thanks in advance!

regards,
jordan76

It depends on your application,if you design a comparators in the sub-adc in i.5bit/stage pipelined ADC using RSD,maybe the limits of offset is relaxed much.

you also should check the comparator sensitivity. you max input swing is just 100mv, it is not very large.
And also if the input swing is small, the comparator speed will be slow. So it's better use a preamp before your comparator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back