Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ANSI statement about 60 Hz 0.5 mA RMS current

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykishore

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can u Explain this?

A 6O-Hz sinusoidal current over 0.5 mA RMS can cause an involuntary startle reaction, particularly in women. The current itself is harmless, but the uncontrolled movement of a startled person can cause secondary accidents including spills and falls. The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) document C101-1992 specifies 0.5 mA as the general limit for 6O-Hz leakage current from appliances.

Please explain the meaning of the above statements

Can u Explain this?

Seems it missed the voltage specification.

Re: Can u Explain this?

I think it means that that amount of current and the frecuency it has can take the heart of of it's own heart bit rythm, that current does not kill you by it self but it makes your heart malfunction at the end your heart stops and you die anyways.

Re: Can u Explain this?

It explains that passed 0.5ma 60 Hz AC current through your body dose not harmful for you but mechanical reaction like uncontrolled movement and other reaction can cause problem like falling from height.
As I understand.

Can u Explain this?

One of my early learning experiences ... Once upon a time, I was repairing something inside the high voltage cage of my old TV set. I was using only one hand, just in case. Sure enough, I slipped and touched the anode wire of the still-charged CRT. The electrical shock didn't hurt because it passed through only my finger and wrist, but my hand jerked rapidly into the cage's sharp jagged sheet metal. Oh what a mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back