Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Angle of load impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The power per phase is defined as
1604119951088.png
where
1604120048183.png
i don't understand the term Theta. I know the phase angle between the
voltage and current if there is reactance they are not in phase .
What does the below statement mean?
1604120791801.png

Attachments

• 1604120700204.png
    1604120700204.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 104

Does this have to do with power factor error? Due to reactance effects, voltage waveform does not coincide with Ampere waveform.

Impedance waveform does not coincide with either of the two. Evidently the author sees the three waveforms are all out of phase. So he clarifies his expression.

Theta often designates angle. In this case it's the amount by which sine (or cosine) waveforms are out of phase.

So for example the voltage and current are out of phase by 30Degrees.
1604126193162.png
and the voltage leads the current by 30. From calculations the impedance leads by 30 Degrees. The author is referring to the +30 Degrees of impedance wrt voltage phase?

I don't give a damn for unknown citations...
For a serious discussion, give the source and context.

For me, the quoted statement doesn't make sense. You know that Z=V/I, each being a complex quantity. Respectively the angle of Z is the angle between V and I. If V is leading I by 30 degree (inductive load), Z has an angle of +30 degree.

Hi,

when I first read the post my idea was exactly like FvM´s.
Without context the statement makes no sense. .. and it makes any further discussion almost useless guessing.

Klaus

the little "phi" means per phase, or of that phase, for a resistive load the angle, theta, between V & I is zero, giving unity power factor.

for a capacitor only, the current leads the volts by 90 deg, for an L the current lags the Volts by 90 deg - if the C or L has appreciable R in the ckt then the angle is in between these values, e.g. lots of R and very little L = slightly lagging current, say 5 deg behind the volts, etc ...
--- Updated ---

p.s. the piece of text you are querying is clearly wrong - possibly a typo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back