Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifying Wi-Fi signal to extend range

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also try building an AM transmitter and receiver. However it wouldn't impress many people as a school project. If you say 'homemade AM receiver', it is not a far cry from a crystal set, in the same league as a children's project.

It looked sort of like this. Many similar schematics are on the internet. Some have fewer parts, some more.

You would do best to obtain a kit. Its frequency is more likely to land within the commercial FM band. If I had tried to build it on my own from scratch, I'm not sure I would have been successful. I wouldn't have known for certain if it was oscillating or not. And if I had not been able to pick it up on my FM radio easily, I wouldn't have known which way to turn the adjustment. Etc.

That's my fear. I'm from Argentina, there are not kits here (and, if there are, they're VERY expensive), but we have some good places where components are sold, so I think I can get all the components.
If you have exactly the model you used (and the circuit design), it would be great, because I know that works right :D

- - - Updated - - -

You can also try building an AM transmitter and receiver. However it wouldn't impress many people as a school project. If you say 'homemade AM receiver', it is not a far cry from a crystal set, in the same league as a children's project.

I can't do an AM receiver, the professor told me that

I can't do an AM receiver, the professor told me that

I understand; a simple AM receiver can be really simple and a modern AM receiver can be really complex.

I can't find any superheterodyne receiver circuit design! I only find the design from 1920's and another one that uses 14 transistors!!! I hope I don't have to use more than 3 or 4

I mean, maybe these FM radios are better for a student, but I would prefer something smaller (like 3 transistors). Do I have to go to the other type of FM radios?

Last edited:

The tuner part of a modern radio receiver cannot be done in a school project. But a tuner-less FM receiver is rather doable and you can also explain the principle and understand what is happening. In fact, you can also do a FM transmitter also.

If you have exactly the model you used (and the circuit design), it would be great, because I know that works right :D

The components themselves are pretty much ordinary, inexpensive, and easily available. Their values are not critical...
Except...

As you assemble the circuit, success will depend on constructing exactly the right size inductor, with the correct number of turns, correct diameter, etc. Then you need exactly the correct capacitor, tunable if possible although these are not easily available. Or, you can spread or compress the inductor to change its value, and thus change the frequency. If you are lucky you'll manage to get the frequency to fall within the FM band, 88 to 108 MHz.

You must also be lucky to get it oscillating. It's easier if you have an oscilloscope.

All this leads to a suggestion that post #25 may be an easier way for you to go.

Why not give it a try? And then come for help here. If you wait so that you will make a perfect job the first time, then you may have to wait a long time! Even if you could not do it (very very unlikely), you would have learnt a lot- there are excellent experts here who are willing to help people who try.

Failure is not an option here. You can always do something with things that are available locally. In electronics, only the idea is hi-tech; rest are routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back