Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Footprint Samtec

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.mehta

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am newbie of Altium and wondering if somebody can help me with this footprint. I am unsure how altium will react when you have pads on two layers but no through plated hole. If I define each pad as different pad, will it create a proper pad layout.
I am looking for Samtec ASP-111174-01 , Shielded Edge connector.
I have attached a datasheet for this.
thanks,
Keyur

Attachments

• 160752[1] (PL1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 72

yes that should not be a problem. define the pads as SMT pads on either top or bottom layer.

Hey Keyur,

Go to Samtec's website, they have altium foorprints.

You can import it in and copy it into your library,
-Peter

@pmtwiss : I can not find any footprint for this part, infact I cant even find this part description on Samtec, thanks for your help.
keyur

Hey keyur,

do you have the datasheet for it? I couldn't find it for you either :( the ASP series exists, but that part # doesnt seem to exist. Double check the part #, or perhaps call Samtec and ask them what is up with the part number.

Finding connectors is an artform, and also the biggest pain in the a$$.

If you need guidance on how to get the libraries into your own, let me know...

-Peter

Hi Peter,
thanks for yor info, I have emailed to Samtec and asked for the part number, the datasheet I am working on has been attached with this thread. 160752[1](PL1).pdf
Many thanks,
Keyur

Attachments

• 160752[1] (PL1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 61

Hey Keyur,

The date on this connector is march 2004....that is 8+ yrs old. More than likely this connector is obsolete.

You can call them to see if they can give you a replacement part, but more than likely you're going to have to find a connector that can replace this one all together. Why was this connector chosen? Is this a redesign of a system that uses this connector? Is this connect used in a mil-spec or space-flight design?(these are reasons why old connectors hang around). Otherwise...I'd choose somerhnig else. This will be a huge pain to find stock on and will end up biting you later.

Samtec makes good parts...they are a bit pricey sometimes, but I think they make good quality connectors....they are my first choice usually...also good support...and their site is decent.

If you still must use this connector, there is no way there is going to be a footprint, and they will not waste their time making it for you if it's this old. If you stick with this route you'll have to make it on your own. Should be easy though...making connector footprints are like 15-30 min max...should be bale to blow through it quick.

Connector search is an art form hahaha,
-Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you don't know how to build libraries, you really need to learn...if you don't know how you can never finish a board...you're never going to find every part footprint already built for you. BUilding libraries is a fundamental part of the PCB process.

I am sure youtube has some great tutorials for it...also the altium training files are good too.

if you got specific questions you can also shoot me a message, no problem.

Peter,
thanks for your info, i will try and find out if the part is not obsolete. I also created the footprint my self but just was wondering I was missnig anything as I did not make any footprints yet on altium which as smd on top and bottom layers at same place.
thanks
keyur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back