Altium designer 6 ( 3d parts alignment with PCB footprint? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky79

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello fellows,

Does anyone know how to align the newly imported PCB3D part with the corresponding PCB footprint? I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks in advance

you can add snap points to the imported 3d step model. you will have to be in 3d visual mode to do this.

Thanks for the reply. How do you add the snap points? I am looking at the pcb3d view and didn't see any options that let you do this.

it's under >>tools >> 3D body placement

if you double click the 3d body it should pop up a property box, where you can add a 0 reference snap point.

I am using altium 6.7 . I don't see that selection. Here is what I have.

i don't have 6.7. currently running 10
sorry can't help you there.

Thank you for the effort. I hope someone here knows how to do it.

When viewing the footprint in 2D, make sure the layer the 3D body is on is visible. If the part/footprint are symmetric, you should be able to do the math to get the part lined up. If it's off when viewing in 3D, you can select the body and do an Edit > Move > Move Selection by X/Y and incrementally move the part until its perfect. Keep in mind, most of the bodies aren't perfect and close enough is usually, just that, close enough.

how do I measure distances in PCB 3d mode? I can't see a option that lets you do this in Altium designer 6.7

Last edited:

there is a misunderstanding. rocky you are in the 3d library. but if you wanto to add snap point you have to do it in the .pcblib. when you are working in pcblib >>place>>3D Body. then you can add the snap point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…