Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Altium 09 Problems updating schematic to PCB: components failed to add

Status
Not open for further replies.

svia

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have a project altium design all ready done, that was supposed to work. It was for a 4 layer, and I want to do a 2 layer, so I want to redo the PCB. The schematic compiles without errors. It's a design with a top sheet, and 3 other sons sheets.

I create a PCB, save it, I think up to here everything was correct. Then I select Design>Update PCB Documents
It shows the Engineering Change Order screen. First I validate changes, and everything is OK, next I execute changes and error in 4 components, the four components are all connector more or less the same kind, and the message was:
"components failed to add". I say OK, and I close.

Finally what I get is this: rooms are empty, and there is a far point with all /many of the components, all in green.
Any help?

have you made sure the footprints for those 4 components are located in the libraries?
maybe altium cannot find them.

if the components are all green, that means there is a violation, probably from component to compoennt

The components are green as they are placed outside rooms. if you really don't want to use the components rooms you can delete them or turn them off for the next update by Project-> Project Options -> Class Generation and there disabling room generation.

or move the components to there room by Tools -> component placement -> Arrange with in room and then clicking to one of the rooms

Reactions: svia

svia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The components that give problems are header pins that can be found in Altium Miscellaneous connectors Library. In fact, if I double click in the component, it appear the footprint, and the library name is correct, and if I click validate is said that component was found..

but still gives me the error when Executing changes of "components failed to add".
Any body knows how to resolve this problem??

If you already have this connector on board with a different footprint, which has more number of pins. then this could be one of the reasons that the new part is not added.

This could not be the problem, I think, because the PCB is just created, is empty. but thanks for your help

Can I, in the Library name, add a path? that will be useful?

I notice the components that give problems, only them, are coloured in yellow in the schematic.... I don't know if this has an special meaning, or is meaningless...

This has happened to me a lot of times...

here are some possible reasons.

1.) footprints do not exist in the library
2.) another reason is that you have components sharing designators-this is the reason why you see rooms but the parts are on the other corner stacking on each other. and some parts are not successfully imported.

hope this helps.

I was not able yet to resolve my problems:
- I avoid rooms, but components are green and far away

- I keep having the same problemas with the header pins: components can be added

It's possible that footprints don't exist, even when clikine validate to the library, it tells you that the component was found??
Please, I need more help, I complitily stuck with this problem.

I think you should try the following.

1. Add the path of libraries. If they are of older version then it will give errors. If it is as a project then you to copy the respective library file to your prject directory.
2. Make sure the component origin is correctly.

Reactions: svia

svia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you all.

Adding the path made everything work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back