Not open for further replies.

linux-dude

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've been tinkering with an idea for a long time; a PC based DVM with isolated test nodes; i.e. each channel is floating. Each channel should be able to do all the usual measurements like A/V AC/DC, Ohm etc. I can't count the number of times i wanted something like this in my lab...

My idea is something like
- Battery (or perhaps small transformers) to power each channel.
- Opto-isolated SPI communication to the main board.
- Isolation voltage good enough for 240V mains testing.
- Main board connects via USB to the PC.
- All settings controlled from the PC, i.e, no buttons on the nodes.
- Several channels, maybe like four to six, should possible.
- Precision should be 1% or better.
- Simplicity wins over saving a few bucks, but it should be reasonable.
- Common parts, easy to source.
- Open source - DIY's should be able to build it.

I have implemented all the digital and firmware parts above in other projects, but the DVM front-end part is new to me, and this is where i want some advices.

I've spent a few hours searching for DVM front-ends, and came up quite empty, except for designs using ICL7135 and the like (**broken link removed**). Though that is a possibility, i would like to explore other paths.

If anyone have some ideas, i would appreciate it much.

Thanks.

One way to go would be to use a galvanic isolated instrumentation amp. This is a self contained chip that transfers an analogue voltage across a galvanic barrier rated up to 7.5 KV. One per channel , then a multiplexor to "switch" your analogue inputs from channel to channel which is synchronised with the display and your single ICL7135 A to D.
For decent accuracy you will duplication of the analogue range switching resistors, 1V, 5V, 10 V. . . A lot of expensive components.
Frank

Interesting idea. I looked at some possible devices, and they were not that expensive. Not sure how accurate it would be, typically they claim 1% accuracy, but i suppose that it might not be quite that simple.

For decent accuracy you will duplication of the analogue range switching resistors, 1V, 5V, 10 V. . . A lot of expensive components.
Frank

Yes, and with additional relays/analog switches, it will cost a bit. Still, considering the gain with a floating design, i think it's worth it.

But this brings me back to square one; alternative front-ends besides the ICL7135? Any ideas?

Which A to D, sorry can't help. I have been rethinking about your original suggestion just to see where the design would end. Your A to D needs +- 5V = two 9V batteries + linear regulators/channel or eight single cell batteries + two linear regulators - you could use re-chargeables. Or a SMPS with a toroid type core with N secondary windings + rect bridges + linear regulators. Special attention must be given to the insulation between the secondaries to get you galvanic isolation. I think this is the way to go, best bang for a buck, more so as more channels are required and relatively low power per channel.
So now you have to provide opto isolation for the digital output from your analogue PCBs. 5 data bits/channel +6 (?) control lines/channels = 11 bits per channel = 66 optos for 6 channels - loads of spaghetti here!!!
Frank

Agreed, the SMPS for local voltage is easy and is cheap. The power transfer not that hard either, basicly a MOSFET driving 20KHz-100Khz through a small transformer. Isolation voltage is the only issue there.

So now you have to provide opto isolation for the digital output from your analogue PCBs. 5 data bits/channel +6 (?) control lines/channels = 11 bits per channel = 66 optos for 6 channels - loads of spaghetti here!!!
Frank

I intend to use SPI, with only 4 wires (CS, CLK, IN, OUT), via optoisolators. SPI is easy to use. I probably go with Microchip in both ends; they have integrated SPI - and i know them inside out =) On the other hand; I've done bitbanging before and it's simple. Might need to do that to get down in frequency as to lower optoisolator requirements/price. Update frequency could be like 5Hz, so 1000bps would be more than enough. That even the cheapest isolator can handle.

My idea was to match resolution from the A/D, whatever that will be. A dual slope A/D can easily provide 15-18 bits.

With that covered, I'm really lost with the front end. I spent more time searching for design ideas, but it's not much out there - or i'm looking at the wrong place? I found a couple of older schematics for analog instruments, but it feels quite outdated. Looks like I have to roll my own =)

Status
Not open for further replies.