Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Adding offset to amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawid5255252

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I would like to make voltage regulator using op-amp. I want to give 0-10V on input and get -5V to 5V on output.
I made inverting amplifier with ku=-1. My problem is that I need to add offset 5V to amp, but I don't know how to do it.
Schematic is below:

schematic.JPG

I know, that I need to use input "1" and "5" and I tried simply to give 5V to them, but it didn't change anything.
Please give me advice!

The problem isn't making 5V voltage. The problem is how to connect this offset to op-amp inputs to work fine.
Look on picture below:

schematic2.JPG

I want to make regulation:
IN:10V --> OUT: -10+5=-5
IN: 5V --> OUT: -5+5=0
IN:0V --> OUT: 0+5=5

I connected 5V to input "1" and "5". I giving on input 10V and I getting -10V at output. And I would like to get -5V on output when input is 10V. I can't get/connect offset.

The input voltages of a linear opamp are almost the same because its open-loop voltage gain is very high. The (+) input voltage is 0v so the (-) input is also 0V.
1) You want the output to be -5V when the input is 0V so R2 has 5mA in it.
2) You want an offset resistor to also have 5mA in it from the opposite polarity so a 2k resistor to +10V will DOO DAT.

Check the output voltage when the input is -5V and when it is -10V. Use Ohm's Law to check it.

- - - Updated - - -

You DID NOT do what Chuckey told you to do.
Pin 1 and pin 5 ARE NEVER connected together and they are not the (+) input which is pin 3.
You have a resistor to the input instead of to +10V like Chuckey said.
Can't you read?

Attachments

• offset voltage for opamp.png
    offset voltage for opamp.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 75
Dawid, what Audioguru has proposed is nothing else than to use the opamp as an adder (inverting).
Add a voltage of -5V to the output signal - and everything works as desired.
For this purpose, you can use +10V (as shown by Audioguru via a 2k resistor) or +5V (via 1k resistor).

I think only chuckeys suggestion achieves the intended level shift. The offset voltage at the + input should be however 2.5 instead of 5 V, requiring a 3R:R voltage divider.

There's a certain contradiction-in-terms in the original post, "give 0-10V on input and get -5V to 5V on output" would refer to non-inverting amplifier at first sight. Should be changed to "get +5V to -5V" for clarity.

Works very well!
Thank you for solution!

Dear.......You can use a 500ohms potentiometer with two 4.7k resistors.......this will provide you a fine adjustment for offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.