AC gain plot for a linear amplifier using CMOS inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don`t mix "Loop Gain" with an opamps "Open-loop gain".

Someone told me the above when he suggests to use a current source stimulus instead of voltage source stimulus.

I have no idea about this. What do you guys think ?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do the phase plots show only 180 degrees ?

Why do the phase plots show only 180 degrees ?
You get out what you put in. The simulation is apparently using ideal transistor model with no internal capacitance or bandwidth limitation.

You are still computing gain wrong !
AC input must be coupled by a capacitor and appropriate RC time delay to self bias before AC sweep is done.

It may be >20dB but never -42dB.

Phase =180 = -180 deg = inverted is correct for an inverter.

What model is used for gm and Cm,Ciss,Coss?
WHy is V increment so coarse?

Try a better simulator.

Last edited:

Phase =180 = -180 deg = inverted is correct for an inverter.

See the alter section on Rf1 and Rf2. This is a linear amplifier built using CMOS inverter with feedback

What model is used for gm and Cm,Ciss,Coss?

I am using BSIM 4.6.1 modelcard

And I cannot find the values of Cm, Ciss, and Coss in the modelcard. Could you suggest why ?

WHy is V increment so coarse?

You mean dc vin 0 $&vcd 0.1 ? Is 0.1 too coarse in this case ?

1) I agree, I know used these 45 yrs ago. Unbuffered 5V 20dB, buffered 60dB gain
2)3) Too many variables for me to follow, but seems valid
4) YES ! The Vss/ΔVin must be much greater than expected Av gain.

Using this configuration you can breadboard testing gain vs variable Vdd with less settling time to Vin-DC , as long as you test AC gain after DC input has reached quiescent point. And not at T=0 after power on.

Last edited:

You are still computing gain wrong !
AC input must be coupled by a capacitor and appropriate RC time delay to self bias before AC sweep is done.

It may be >20dB but never -42dB.
Capacitor coupling and self bias would be also my suggestion, but the amplifier is correctly biased in the simulation though.

Gain is -42, not -42 db.

I think, for ac analyses there is no "power-on" switching. This is the case for TRAN simulation only (time domain).
Before ac analyses start the program automatically finds the DC quiescent point.

Vss/ΔVin must be much greater than expected Av gain.

@SunnySkyguy

What is Vss in your sentence ? is it equivalent to 0 ?

And if yes, how is the dc sweep stepsize of 0.1 too course based on your sentence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…