Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Fan speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been playing around with various means of controlling fan speed. The fan is a 'typical' 20 inch window fan with 3 speeds.

I have a variac and like the ability of that to control the fan speed.

I've tried a fan speed controller that I'm pretty sure uses a triac. That causes the fan to emit a humming noise.

I know the key difference between a variac and triac is that a variac limits the amplitude of the AC signal, where as a triac limits a portion of each cycle of the AC signal.

With the triac control, is there anything that can be done to reduce the humming ?

I've thought of building a ciruit that detected the zero crossing point in the AC voltage. Then using that to shut off the AC for a variable number of full cycles. Is that type oc circuit reasonable ?

I'm not at all sure of the fan type / motor circuit.

Hi,

It depends.
It depends on the sound ..or better say it's source.

* maybe the sound is caused by the high rise rate of the edges --> then a LPF between triac and fan may do the job.
* or it may be some low frequency jitter in phase angle --> use a better ZCD circuit or timing control circuit
* or it may be from some DC residual in the triac output voltage --> use a better ZCD circuit or timing control circuit.

Klaus

Are you using a Solid-sta relay with a triac inside or just a single triac?

I've tried a few controls, like a Leviton 6616-1XW. I don't beleive any of the controls I've used have a solid state relay.

a big inductor in series with the fan load may help - if so, a good sized snubber needed across Triac too ..

Status
Not open for further replies.