Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] About effective parameters of metamaterials mu=n*z epsilon=n/z

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingzi050

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi ,i saw the relations that mu=n*z ,epsilon=n/z several times,but i don't know where them come from,and even where they can be used to.
So if here anyone know them ,please be kind to tell me .thanks in advance.

You can determine this relationship very quickly. Note that n = refractive index = sqrt(e_r) and that z = sqrt(mu_0*mu_r/(e_0*e_r)).

Have fun :)

hi
for information about that u can read chapter 1 of metamaterials books by nader engheta and the metamterial book of itoh

hi , tallface65
i have understood this question with u help. thank you very much !

lingzi

---------- Post added at 01:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

hi ferdows ,
thanks your advice, i have found the book u mentioned. it really helpful .thanks again.
lingzi

just a quick note:
Note that n = refractive index = sqrt(e_r) and that z = sqrt(mu_0*mu_r/(e_0*e_r)).
n is not equal to sqrt (e_r); you can simply see that by multiplying sides of both equations: mu*epsilon=n*z*n/z=n^2 => n=sqrt(mu*epsilon). So the correct equation is n = sqrt (e_r*mu_r); however, as mu_r is in most cases very close to 1, most of the times you can assume n=sqrt(e_r); but thats not always the case.

hi
thanks mamali

your explanation is very usefull for me.

lingzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back