Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A wonderful FDTD codes---openGEMS ( open source codes )

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange007

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
opengems

openGEMS is the open source code of GEMS.
It's web site is:
**broken link removed**

Recently, I have downloaded openGEMS and try to run it under Visual Studio 2005.

However, there are several problems which make the source code can not be built successfully using Visual Studio 2005:
1. Visual Studio 2005 can't read the sub-project of displaying model which is related to Microsoft Excel 2003/2007. The software interface and the modeling tools is programed using some components related to Microsoft Excel 2003/2007. But the openGEMS project can't integrate these components into itself smothly.

2. There isn't any "mpi.lib" or "mpi.h" files concluded in the source codes of openGEMS. OpenGEMS can(or must) parallelly running FDTD under the support of Message Passing Interface(MPI). The problem is that the source codes contains some codes which have MPI functions, but the "mpi.lib" or "mpi.h" files which is essential for MPI programming is missing in the project documents. So, the "solver" of openGEMS can't be compiled using VS2005.
However, I have removed the MPI functions and get the "solver" of openGEMS work.

My aid --- If you are interesting about the "sover" of openGEMS, I can provide my copy of the revised "solver" to you. I have removed the MPI functions and get the "solver" of openGEMS work.

My wish --- If you have any discovery or findings about how to get openGEMS work, you may contact me by sending EMails to lixueshi68@gmail.com

Anyone have some ideas about how to use the open source openGEMS can provide your opinion by following this topic.

Thank you!:D

fdtd open source

Hi,
I downloaded the binary version of OpenGEMS and tried it at 2 different machines. It is installed but when i try to use the gui(to add objects for example), it gives errors. I think they might be related to DirectX. Is there anyone who could make it work?

open gems fdtd

i have tried it,
i continously throws an error message: unhandled exception.

do i have to install some drivers or frameworks or what?

the code what you uploaded is it a sourcecode? could you compile it, and upload that too?

opengems

Dear terdol,
The trouble you met is common, because I have encountered the same errors.
I think the solution is:
1. OpenGEMS need the developing enviroment of Visual Studio 2005. The GUI of openGEMS is developed using Visual C# under VS2005, and the solver(FDTD core) is developed using C++ under VS2005. So, you need to install VS2005 in the first place. Frankly saying, openGEMS is not easy to run.
2. Your operation system need to be a complete version. I have tried several compact(revised version) version of WINXP, but failed to run the GUI of openGEMS. It means that you need to install a complete version of WINXP in the second place.

You may take more tries.

Added after 13 minutes:

Dear buenos,
Thank you for your attention.
The error message: unhandled exception is mostly likely related to a memory exception.
I need to confess that the codes I uploaded is a semifinished product. I only remove the MPI parts of the code to enable me to debug it under VS2005.

If your are interested in FDTD method, you may collaborate with me to make the codes available.

The main difficults are:
1. Visual Studio 2005 can't read the sub-project of displaying model which is related to Microsoft Excel 2003/2007.
2. There isn't any "mpi.lib" or "mpi.h" files concluded in the source codes of openGEMS.

open source fdtd code

Hi
I think that mpi.lib and mpi.h are part of the MPI library (third party). You need an MPI implementation like MPICH (Open source) for compiling and running the code and these files will be part of that library. More over, these files/file locations should be included in the Visual Studio Project (through Project options/settings)
Best Regards
Jithesh

opensource fdtd code

Thanks i will try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back