Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Simple Diode Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbhinavRajan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a very simple diode problem in my assignment.
It seems to be very easy but I am unable to find the answer.
I seem to miss something very simple/obvious.
Could someone tell me how to arrive at the answer for the question?
Please help!
Thanks in advance!

https://www.coursera.org/learn/electronics/quiz/XNuwv/problem-4-3-1 A.png

You should try to solve problems given as course work all by yourself. Getting the problem solved by others is considered unfair means.

When Vs is low, the diode is reverse biased and does not conduct. To conduct, the diode must become forward biased. It becomes forward biased only when Vs becomes greater than 10 (the battery voltage).

Vs is a given a function of time: 2t-1; 2t-1=10 or t=5.5. This is the time the diode starts to conduct. If you are looking for integral number as the result, put t=6.

As this is an ideal diode, we have not considered the diode drop (it needs a little extra voltage to conduct).

Another way to see this is to subtract the voltage sources i.e. V TOTAL = 2t-1 - 10.
When does the diode conduct? As it is ideal, as mitra said, when V TOTAL > 0 i.e. 2t-1 - 10 > 0 <=> t > 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back