Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TVS diode

Rajinder1268

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I have attached a picture showing 2 different methods of using bidirectional TVS diodes to protect the CC1 pin of a USB C connector. Note I have the same for CC2.
I am not sure which one is better suited for this application.
Also why are the diodes facing differently on the two devices, does that make a difference?

Attachments

• IMG_20231006_110030.jpg
    IMG_20231006_110030.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 52
But do note that a true two diode solution requires them both to be Zener types. A Zener diode clamps in one direction and conducts normally in the other so the two together effectively clamp at Vz+Vf. A TVS is constructed to conduct in both directions beyond clamp voltage so their function is almost identical. The symbols are not important, I think they both convey the same meaning.

Brian.

My other question was the selection parameters for the TVS diode. The CC1 and CC2 signals can be anywhere between 3V to 5.5V.
The TVS diodes that I am looking at have a reverse standoff voltage of 5.5V.

This ideally should be higher than the signal level that requires protection. Is this going to be a potential issue?

Lastly, CC1 is rated to 1.25A and CC2 to around 0.25A. How do I select the IPP rating for the TVS diode based on this?

Consider that TVS diodes can provide protection against ESD and some surge events but not e.g. longer enduring overvoltage. In so far you are looking mainly for pulse current characteristic and rating.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back