Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a fundamental but tricky question on feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were many good and true things said above about this type of configuration and its analysis. I think the difficulty the initial poster had was with the impossibility of fitting the inverting amplifier topology within the traditional feedback block diagram, because it doesn't really fit. The non-inverting amplifier, of course fits readily in it. I can never remember the classification of feedbacks in shunt-shunt, shunt-series, etc. I prefer an approach that can analyze any given circuit. It is also true that there is a feed-forward path here, but in case of opamps, with high enough gain and at sufficiently low frequencies, I don't think we have to usually bother about it.
In the attached file I show how this non-inverting amplifier can fit in the general feed-back topology. From that block diagram for very large gain, one can get the approximate formula of -R2/R1.

Of course, I agree with sutapanaki.
However, the whole story can be explained in three simple sentences:

1.) The general feedback formula is based on a model which has a differential input (subtractor) followed by the gain stage with a feedback block β) and this model fits the noninverting opamp since the input voltage is applied directly to the "subtractor" input.

2.) If there is a voltage divider Hf=R2/(R1+R2) in front of the differential input (subtractor) the input signal is reduced by the factor Hf before it reaches the classical model input.(Hint: The divider formula assumes opamp output zero - in accordance with the superposition theorem).

3.) Thus: Vout=(1/ β)*Hf*Vin=-R2/R1*Vin (with β>>negative because of neg. feedback)

Maybe the following link is helpful, which says about feedback.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.