Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7-segment LED driver SAA1064 with +12V supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Folks,

I’d like to power a 7-segment display with a +12V supply and control it with SAA1064. My I2C bus runs off +5V. Have read the datasheet. Typical supply voltage +5V, max +15V. I didn’t find any contraindication for using +12V power supply.

Have anyone tried this? Could anyone confirm?

Cheers,
- Nick

Since typical supply is 5.0V, minimum is 4.5V and maximum is 15.0V, you should be able to use 12V quite easily without any problem.

4.5 ≦ Supply Voltage ≦ 15.0V

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

look at this example might be helpful
ser_led.gif

I don't think you should worry since 12V is within the max and min limits of the chip as stated in the datasheet. However, make sure that you have appropriate current limiting resistors for the 7-segments. Since they're running off 12V limited to Vf, they'll draw more current if you use the same resistor. So, take care regarding this. Besides this, you shouldn't worry.

By the way, why do you need to run it off 12V? You can just use 5V. 7-segment will work fine at 5V.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

By the way, why do you need to run it off 12V? You can just use 5V. 7-segment will work fine at 5V.
My main supply voltage is +12V. My LED display can pull up to 0.6A. If I want to power it off +5V, I'd have to use a bigger regulator and dissipate more heat.

I think you can run it safely off 12V. If, however, you're still concerned, you can use a switching regulator and won't need to worry about much heat. A simple one is LM2575 - 5.0 .

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back