Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7.2w led panel with 12v 7Ah battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

arecssor

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

i am trying to power a led panel of 7.2W (12V, 600mA) and a controller board with atmega8 microcontroller i want t run this circuit and light up the led panel for 4-5 hrs is that possible to achieve this running hours with 12v 7,Ah battery .to achieve this what is the battery capacity that i should select ,now am connecting the led through a 7812 regulator ic it is not working properly .
and i have another panel of 3W(6v,500mA) if i replace the 7.2W led panel with this 3W panel how much additional running hours can be achieved with the same 12v 7Ah battery .

7812 have ~2V minimum voltage drop. That's why I doesn't work. Even if you will use LDO, this solution will be poor.
You need to clarify more details about your panel. How strictly it needs 12V? In this case SEPIC DC-DC converter have to be used, but this solution is expensive and efficency will be poor also (60-70%).
May be direct connection will be most optimal way.

Hi,

Please don´t post very similar threads.
Currently I consider if I should merge both threads.

Generally:
Power = V x I (in Watts)
Energy = P x t = V x I x t (in Ws, Wh or kWh)

Energy in a battery: V x I x t (Where I x t is already given in Ah) therefore: 12V x 7Ah = 84Wh

Now you have a panel of 7.2W. Just divide the energy of the battery with the power of the LED and get the time: 84Wh / 7.2W = 11.7h

This is with 100% full to 0% empty new batteries with 100% efficiency.
Calculate with 80% of battery energy. --> gives about 9h

What efficiency you have to calculate with depends on YOUR circuit.
Expect about 50% form a linear circuit (other 50% = loss = heat)
Expect 80...95% (or more) from a switching solution.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back