Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5amp power supply troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any mistakes in the schematic? If not there isn't any on the board I made since the board is printed from the schematic but since it's not working as it should then something is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I just double checked it also, all connections are just as it is in the schematic I sent

II just double checked it also, all connections are just as it is in the schematic I sent

Your latest diagram is correct. Sorry!!

The adj leg has to be lifted up from the ground to get higher voltages. This is done using a potential divider. Your values R7=1.03K and R3=120E will give output voltage (1+1030/120)*1.24=11.9V; there is a correction term for the adj pin current comp. You need to look up the datasheet.

I do not think you can use NPN transistor in this way. It will not work (regulate or protect).

In the last diagram, you still have the base and C4 connected but not to the input to the regulator. Make sure this mistake is not repeated on your pcb layout.

In the last diagram, you still have the base and C4 connected but not to the input to the regulator. Make sure this mistake is not repeated on your pcb layout.

actually all pins there are connected its just that I forgot to put a junction there to show connection but ill double check the board anyway.

I used it to power the tv and it works, the voltage has gone down to 11v once the tv is on and the transistor gets hot but not as quick as when I was using a NPN.

Im using the TIP36 version.

I just probably need a heatsink now

Status
Not open for further replies.