Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

38v adapter output analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaram04

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

I hv an adapter of old china made cheap external T.V. tuner card & parameter on the unit is given as 38v 100mA

But with open circuit condition when i connect voltmeter the reading shows 55v approx

So how it is ? Is it corrupted or its due to some rules as per load at output ?

Many cheap older adapters were unregulated and output voltage is specified at a certain load.

I have a cheap Chinese wall wart that is rated at 9VDC/100mA and when the load is 100mA its output is exactly 9VDC with only a little ripple. But without a load its output is close to 18VDC. Its windings have thin cheap wire that has resistance.

I have a cheap Chinese wall wart that is rated at 9VDC/100mA and when the load is 100mA its output is exactly 9VDC with only a little ripple. But without a load its output is close to 18VDC. Its windings have thin cheap wire that has resistance.

i see so thats the nature hmm

ok what if i connect LM 317 at my output here ?

i mean to get output as per my use & all that . . !!!!

is it a good idea ?

You can use a voltage regulator IC if the minimum input voltage for its output voltage is high enough. My cheap wall wart with the very poor voltage regulation gets hot when it has a load and even when it has no load so it wastes power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back