Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 3310 LCD interfacing with pic18f4620

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabby21

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
anyone can help me to understand thoroughly about nokia 3310?datasheet of it can do.. and a schematic(with code would be great) interfacing pic18f4620 using PORTD.. ive read many post with same topic with mine but most of it uses pic16 and im a bit confuse of the 3310 schematic interface with pics. thanks..

It can be easily modified to 18F. Since you are using portd, then, there is not much changes you need to do :)

23_1313935794.png

anyone could explain the pin configuration of 3310 LCD? how can can i connect them with pic? is it possible with port D?and can anyone provide schematic interface in pic18f4620. thank you.

23_1313935794.png

anyone could explain the pin configuration of 3310 LCD? how can can i connect them with pic? is it possible with port D?and can anyone provide schematic interface in pic18f4620. thank you.

Can you please read the links provided by bigdogguru? you can connect them anyway you like to the PIC. It is the software that you have to write that determines the functionality of the port and therefore, making the LCD work :)

hi sir bigdogguru,

yeah its about our project, i think ill stick to step by step process to complete our project soon, cos unfortunately, were behind 2 weeks of progress regarding our project since im hopping in all the responsibilities with source codes, schematic diagrams and understanding zigbee. cant organize my thoughs + end up no completion at all, so i think ill focus on this one since the LCD 16x2 is not avaible on our site, too bad that ive been successfully interface with pic, so i think this is my alternative solution, im making a program right now on interfacing the LM35 adc result passing through pic18f1620, and thats it, my problem is how can i output the results on 3310 LCD , same goes with the schematic diagram ill upload it later.

at sir john blue,

thanks for the reply,ive been confused with some other topics the same with this that connects the nokia 3310 LCD with port C, im reviewing my datasheets regarding this.

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

oh my! hahahaha.... silly me, ive just read the link of sir bigdogguru gave, man, all my questions are answered,was typing and thinking of all the questions bothering me regading 3310 interfacing. again, sir bigdogguru saves the day .. :p GJ sir! .

Since you are out of time, i think you can grab the functions you need doesnt matter what compiler it is written for, then, modify it to suits your needs

by the way sir, im using c18 lite as a compiler, since its free and hitech c pic 18.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

yes sir john, im still newbie of what instruction sets will be used in different compilers, i mean the functions, libraries that will be needing to run certain devices, like using lcd 16x2, u must include lcd.c,correct me if im wrong, and how to initialize those devices to come up desired results

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

sirs,

**broken link removed**
regarding this link, i do understand how the 3310 works with pic18, but its in micro c. can this program run in c18? cause ive tried many programs written in micro C and fail to run on c18. plus the library of functions that the shobit(the author) gave was in micro C. if only i can include his functions in c18, i can somehow manage to manipulate outputs on 3310.

you need to change it to C18 equivalent. Basically, you can use the header file from the link and it contains all the nokia 3310 functions :)

ill check on that after ive tried the library given by this link **broken link removed** bigdogguru's link), cause i think the drivers given is also the same as botskool gave. right? but ill try those two. thanks,

**broken link removed**
regarding this link, i do understand how the 3310 works with pic18, but its in micro c. can this program run in c18? cause ive tried many programs written in micro C and fail to run on c18. plus the library of functions that the shobit(the author) gave was in micro C. if only i can include his functions in c18, i can somehow manage to manipulate outputs on 3310.

As John Blue mentioned, you will need remove the MikroC library functions and either substitute a library compatible with C18 or Hi-Tech C.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Daddy21 here is another Nokia 3310 library:

BigDog

Reactions: FvM and dabby21

dabby21

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

FvM

16_1313939585.png

sir,
i do get the pin configuration for this, the SDIN, SCLK,SCE,RES. ive reviewed the data sheets of pic19f4620, thinking i can directly connect the pins of port D with the same pin name, but all i can see were the port C, just like ,SCK that can be found in RC3, sorry if this type of question is noob,so that gave me problem how can i connect the pins of 3310 to port D of pic18f4620.

You may already know this Daddy21, however keep in mind the Nokia 3310 is a 3.3v device. So you'll either need to run your PIC at 3.3v or use a level shifter.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Yup, ive read the specifications of 3310, and i have a solution with that. the MRF24J40MA in PICDEM Z runs at 3.3V right?so i can make it as a source to nokia 3310.

and heres the circuit for regulating from 5V to 3.3V. please, im open to be corrected, if any of my ideas have wrong concepts, please inform me. thank yo

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

90_1313941357.png

sir, just a question, in this program, is there any unique attributes on every designated RB ports that it assigned or i can freely assigned any of the ports to connect them in equivalent on the pins of 3310? like sclk,sce,res, i can freely assign them to any of the ports in PORT D?

Apart from the voltage supply issue, you need to make sure a 3.3v device is 5v tolerant as far as its inputs.

I've never used the Nokia 3310 display in a design, so I will have to take a look at the datasheet, before weighing in on that issue.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Thank you sir for pointing at the voltage supply issue, since i didnt touch on that part, ill check and ask my fellow teammates regarding this and search for a reliable circuit that can output 3.3 V. how about the initializiation of ports sir? the above image? am i freely to assign which port i am to use? like PORT D... with no restrictions?

sir, just a question, in this program, is there any unique attributes on every designated RB ports that it assigned or i can freely assigned any of the ports to connect them in equivalent on the pins of 3310? like sclk,sce,res, i can freely assign them to any of the ports in PORT D?

Generally yes. However you need to make sure you disable any peripherals which may share the same pins, ADC, CCP, etc. Just check your datasheet concerning PORTD and any peripherals with maybe associated with it. Any open drain I/O will require special consideration as well, when using them as general digital outputs.

BigDog

my problem are pins SCLK,SDA,CS,and RES. im in doubt if there are any restrictions on assigning pins on the pic18f4620 regarding port D.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

There are 3 peripherals that port D has, for RD 5 to RD 7 (Digital output, parallel slave port data,enhance ccp1 output) for the remaining ports(excluding CCp1 output) so i can used rd0 to rd4 for the my desired ports/ouputs and just disable parallel slave port data peripheral?

I apologize, I hadn't notice the interface required. To interface an I2C device to a MCU it is generally better to use the hardware provided interface, MSSP module in this case, in the particular PIC, rather than implement a soft I2C or bit banged I2C interface. The I2C interface on the PIC18f4620 are RC3 and RC4.

Reference

17.4 I2C Mode

The MSSP module in I2C mode fully implements all
master and slave functions (including general call
support) and provides interrupts on Start and Stop bits
in hardware to determine a free bus (multi-master
function). The MSSP module implements the standard
mode specifications, as well as 7-bit and 10-bit
addressing.

Two pins are used for data transfer:
• Serial clock (SCL) – RC3/SCK/SCL
• Serial data (SDA) – RC4/SDI/SDA

The user must configure these pins as inputs or outputs
through the TRISC<4:3> bits.

If you have other I2C devices already connected to the I2C bus, this is usually not a problem as they have been assign unique addresses.

BigDog

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.