Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2nd order Butterworth LPF cascade with 2nd Butterworth HPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion_Aus

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, my task is to cascade a 2nd order Butterworth LPF with a 2nd Butterworth HPF, individually my 2 filters function exactly as I want, however when I connect them together (ie LPF -> HPF) I do not get any passband, when my LPF -3dB frequency is 10kHz and my HPF's -3dB frequency is 5kHz... is it the way im connecting them (series)??? ive uploaded the bode plots for the individual filters.

Would appreciat the help, thanks.

Am I wrong in assuming there should be a passband between 5kHz and 10kHz???

Re: 2nd order Butterworth LPF cascade with 2nd Butterworth H

Dion_Aus said:
Hi guys, my task is to cascade a 2nd order Butterworth LPF with a 2nd Butterworth HPF, individually my 2 filters function exactly as I want, however when I connect them together (ie LPF -> HPF) I do not get any passband, when my LPF -3dB frequency is 10kHz and my HPF's -3dB frequency is 5kHz... is it the way im connecting them (series)??? ive uploaded the bode plots for the individual filters.

Would appreciat the help, thanks.

Am I wrong in assuming there should be a passband between 5kHz and 10kHz???

No, in principle, you are not wrong. You should get "any passband".
However, have you no specification for the passband ? Because I don`t expect that the pass band will be very useful. But it should be possible to identify it.
But watch the opamp behaviour. For a 10 kHz band edge the opamp should have higher frequency capabilities - as you can see in the disturbed high pass characteristic.

Re: 2nd order Butterworth LPF cascade with 2nd Butterworth H

The resultant Bode plote never gets any higher than like -545dB??? I am really confused as to why this is

Sounds like your circuit is wrong somehow. Start with checking the bias points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back