Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1Bit AD Conversion with noise suppression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara92

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

Sorry for bothering you again. A few hours ago I posted a thread regarding the use of an LVDS Receiver as comparator. Well, you told me why it's not a good idea.
Anyway, it might be more helpful, if I described my problem here:

I need to sample a differential signal and can't use an AD converter. So it's basically about 1bit sampling.
The inout is a rather noisy background with occasional (triggered) signal bursts. They have a frequency of about 100MHz and are about 100ns long. Sampling frequency is 1.5GHz.
With some (n) averaging this works rather well. The noise background is detected as 1 or 0 each with 50% so the averaged sample has the value n/2. Positive signals always get a 1 so they end up with value n while negative values sum up to zero. Unfortunately I see sometimes bursts which I would like to suppress. They have a much smaller amplitude (factor 10) than the target signals but they are still not burried in the noise.

Is there anyway to do 1Bit sampling with suppression of noise or unwanted signals?
I considered using two 1Bit inputs. Instead of having zero as threshold I would like to use threshold +-100mV. That means if the signal is >100mV I would like to add 1 to my sample, if it's below -100mV it would add -1 and if it's in between zero is added. So noise and small bursts would be a flat line=0, the positive signals would sum up as n and the negatives as -n.

I thought of using comparators for this porpuse but at these fequencies (1.5GHz) they are expensive and power hungry. (That's where the Idea with LVDS receivers as comparator came from). :grin:

A limter amplifier with a "blind" input range from -100mV to +100mV would also be nice. I could use this to detect large positives and negatives spikes.

Something like limiter amplifier with a fast loss-of-signal output might also help. I could use this output to decide if i see a "real" burst. But the LOS outputs tend to be very slow..

Has anybody got an idea?
:roll:

What is the voltage level of your burst? Of the noise? You say you can't use an AD, but your "sampling frequency is 1.5GHz". If you are not using an AD, how are you sampling? What are you sampling? Why CAN'T you use an AD? There are certainly a lot of solutions to sample a 100MHz signal.

Hi Barry,
thanks for answering.
The level of the burst is about 200-500mV. The "unwanted" burst have 20-50mV amplitude.
I'm sampling 1 bit with a limiter amp and a LVDS logic input. By averaging/overlaying some samples I get a rectangular wave as response of a sine burst. I need to detect the phase with high accuracy, even though there are just ten periods. That's why I need 1.5GHz sample frequency.
The limiter amp blows up every signal that is of the same order as the noise (or larger).
I even considered adding noise to blur low signals but this has impact on the accuracy of the phase detection of the "real" signal....
The design does not allow the use of an AD.

Cheers, Sara

I'm still confused. If you are not using an ADC, how are you going to measure phase? How are you averaging?

This thread is starting to smell like bean counters telling engineers how to design a product, based on price point promises by commission sales/marketing people that know nothing about technology and Sara is the engineer stuck with attempting to perform the miracle of turning sewer water into wine. Sara, I feel your pain. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back