Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

13.56 MHz RFID Long Range Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelV

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am using a very small transponder operating at 13.56 MHz. I'd post the link if I could, but the company is Nonatec.net and they don't specify any ISO standard. Specs: Size: 1mm dia * 6 mm long, Weight: 7,15 mg, Operating frequency: 13,56 MHz

The read range with their reader is about 1cm.

Is there any way I can improve this by using a long range reader with a big antenna? Is the reading range inherent in the chip?

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm an RFID newbie so let me know if I need to provide more information.

Michael

The best way is to use larger diameter coils on both ends of the link.

The best way is to use larger diameter coils on both ends of the link.

Thank-you for the reply, but I don't really know what that means. Could you explain?

Thanks,

Michael

The manufacturer is referring to a NXP Mifare chip, in other words, the implemented standard is ISO/IEC14443 A.

Of course, the only available option in your case is increasing the reader coil size. But the tag coil is obviously very small, so you won't achieve a large operation distance, even with a large reader coil. Besides field strength at the tag, receiving a sufficient load modulation signal is the second problem. As a first step, the required field strength and available tag signal, that are probably below ISO 14443 standard requirements, would be determined in a measurement.

Last edited:

The manufacturer is referring to a NXP Mifare chip, in other words, the implemented standard is ISO/IEC14443 A.

Of course, the only available option in your case is increasing the reader coil size. But the tag coil is obviously very small, so you won't achieve a large operation distance, even with a large reader coil. Besides field strength at the tag, receiving a sufficient load modulation signal is the second problem. As a first step, the required field strength and available tag signal, that are probably below ISO 14443 standard requirements, would be determined in a measurement.

That helps a bit more, but I'm totally new to this and don't fully understand the terminology.

What is "load modulation"? Why is it a problem?

What would be determined in a measurement?

Thank-you in advance,

Michael

Load modulation is the method for tag-to-reader communication. The tag is modulating the power consumed from the field, e.g. by switching a load resistance. Thus, the transmitted power is restricted to a fraction of the received power at the tag. It's pretty low for a < 1 mm diameter coil.

You can measure the minimal field strength required for operating the tag (= getting a response telegram) and the field strength of this response. It can possibly be done with a ISO/IEC 14443 A or multistandard reader and a sense coil (a wire loop) and an oscilloscope to measure the signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.