Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.25 GHz LVDS-like buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixphe

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

i'm currently designing a 1.25GHz (digital signal) LVDS-like driver to drive an FPGA. Could someone please help me or advise me on the following choices:
- could i avoid internal termination of the transmission line, and hence reduce power consumption for a given swing by half? Assuming rise/fall time of 1/10th of period, i guess i would have an analog bandwidth of approx 5GHz or a wavelength of 3cm in free space, approx 1cm in FR4. My traces will be beyond that for sure.
- should i think of appropriate common mode termination also? If i do so ... as i'll probably end up with tightly coupled differential transmission line-pairs, which would render the common-mode characteristic impedance smaller then the differential mode one, clean termination gets more difficult, i think. If I should work on such a termination, what common-mode characteristic impedance may i expect when keeping the differential one on 100 ohm (2*50), on FR4 and e.g. when connecting BGA's and having quite of a few of those pairs?

Big thanks for your input!

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.