Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"whack-a-mole" game prototype using FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

zilch

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am planning to do prototype of a "whack-a-mole" game using fpga written in verilog. So instead of doing the typical "whack-a-mole" game, i will be using glowing push buttons ( the one you see in arcade games).

This is how the game works:

The push buttons are initially off (no light). And when the game starts, the push buttons will randomly light up. Then by pushing the button that is lighting up, it will then eventually turn off, adding a score to the 7-segment of the FPGA board. And when you missed one, it will decrease your life (given 3 lives at the start of the game). The goal is to finish the game and obtain the highest score without dying.

First question, is it possible?

second questiion is, how do i trigger the led push buttons? as far as i know, if you connect the led buttons into a supply, it will automatically light up

Not really sure what you are asking. Yes, if you apply power to an LED it will light up. So, what is your question?

i will be using Linear Feedback Shift Register.. do you have any recommendations based on what type of push button will be the best to use? I am planning to use a momentary led push button

I must be stupid; I don't understand what you want. What does an LFSR have to do with illuminating an LED? First you say you are using verilog to implement a game in an FPGA. Then you say you are using an LFSR (for random number generation, I presume?). Then you ask what is the best type of pushbutton to use. Are you asking for a specific manufacturer's part number?

I have read a paper that when you are only after for a random number generator, you can use the $random command which is suitable for simulation purpose. But when you are trying to implement it on hardware, you will need to do LFSR.

Sorry barry. I am a bit confused on what should i use for my push button.

Are you sure they are using push button in the video you link?

It looks to me like they've got a back-lit panel which is probably connected to some kind of switch (microswitch, maybe).

I'm not quite sure if they're using push buttons. And also I don't think that it was implemented using Verilog. I just found their video fun and exciting. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.