Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are bond wires and pads in VLSI design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilone

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to VLSI design. I want to know what are bond wires and pads. I f somebody can refer to graphical explaination, it would be good for understanding.

Thanks in advance

Re: Bond wire

The bond wire is the connection between the IC (silicon) and the pin of the package. If you take off the top coverage of a package, the image is similar to a spider, where the body of the spider is the die (the actual IC - silicon) and the legs are the bond wires.

but where the pads fit in and
what are their sizes compared to package pins

A simpler case to understand easily, unpackage chip:

Chip means your circuit. On the chip you need to have pads for input, output, ect...
In order to measure your design, your chip needs to be attached on a board, which has measurement diagram. In order to connect from pads on the chip to the measurement diagram, you need bond wire. You can not make bon wire by yourshelf, you need bonding machine coz bond wire size is so small.

Picture shows bond wires and chip pads.

some typical data for bond wire pad and pin size to a TSOP package.

bond wire (a thin golden wire to connect pad to lead): length 3-5mm, width 0.8mil, parasitics, 1nh/mm, 10mOhm/mm, total cap ~1pf

pad (the connection metal square on silicon): 80u x 80u, total cap ~1.2pf

lead ( the metal routing to connect bondwire touch down point to the pin): width 2mil, length 5~8mm, parasitics 0.8nh/mm, total cap ~2pf

pin( the metals strech out from package): width 1mm, length 5~8mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back