Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple remote led stay on

Status
Not open for further replies.

elior77

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey,

I'm trying to fix a ceiling fan remote control, it is very simple with very few components.

It has a few resistors, 16v 47uf cap, 455E, BA5104 and a transistor (3 legs).

When I press any button the led stay on... I remove and insert the batteries and the led is on again - some times it will let me send a command or two and then the led will stay on.

Which component is the prime suspect ?

Thanks !
Elior

As a guess, it is most likely that one of your buttons is malfunctioning.
Check to see if the remote is also transmitting IR. You can do this by using a digital camera. If it IS on, then faulty button is most likely.

Also ensure that your battery has correct output voltage. Sometimes a very low voltage can cause IC to malfunction without actually being 'bad'

Of course it is also possible that the BA5104 has gone bad.

The cell phone camera can show IR transmit ? how do I do that ?
I checked with fresh batteries.
I ordered all the components and the BA5104 too.

The cell phone camera can show IR transmit ? how do I do that ?...

You look at the IR led through your camera viewfinder/ screen. If it is On or pulsing then you will see it as a purplish glow. Try it out on some other working remote !

I checked with fresh batteries.

good

I ordered all the components and the BA5104 too.

But my first guess is a bad button !!

You look at the IR led through your camera viewfinder/ screen. If it is On or pulsing then you will see it as a purplish glow. Try it out on some other working remote !

good

But my first guess is a bad button !!

I've tried viewing ir led before with my iPhone 6. I could not view it with forward facing camera. I believe it has a filter. I could see it with backward facing camera.

The iphone does not show IR, another not iphone smartphone I have does show IR - the led (on the remote not the IR) is stuck on and the IR does not transmit.
When the remote does work for a few presses the smartphone does show the IR led light up.

I repeat once again. One, or some of your buttons are bad.
2nd possibility is that ba5104 is bad, but that is unlikely.

The test show the when the led on the remote is stuck on, the IR does not transmit - doesn't this show that it is not a button problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back