Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extending the life of my relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple inrush protection will give you the most relay-protection-per-[currency unit]-spent.

Just put something like this (https://au.element14.com/epcos/b573...4472?in_merch=true&MER=MER-L53-L5IB-PD-ALT-ST) NTC thermistor in series with your switched load and your problems should go away. NTC Thermistor surge protectors work by offering a (relatively) high series resistance with the load on initial switch-on. Continued current flow after switch-on causes them to heat (due to I2R losses in their intrinsic resistance) which causes their resistance to drop (NTC = *negative* temperature coefficient, i.e. *less* resistance with more heat), thereby allowing the load to draw full power after a 'gentler' turn on.

The only thing to beware is that they can get *hot* - beyond 100C - depending on the load current, so don't put them against a plastic case. NTC thermistors come in a myriad of shapes, sizes, ratings and (generally low) costs so hunt around to find one that works best for you.

Of course I agree about general usefulness of NTC inrush current limiting. But it's not fool-proof, you can still get high inrush currents with repeated switching.

The other point to consider is this. Inrush current limiters are usually built-in to high inrush current devices, e.g. motor inverters. They become necessary if switching of these devices causes serious voltage dips or even tripping of sensitive circuit breakers. A TV or monitor doesn't belong to this kind of devices. It has some inrush current, e.g. 10 or 20 A for a few milliseconds, but this inrush current level is expected to be safely handled by switches and circuit breakers. In other words, if relay contacts are welded when switching a TV, the relay isn't well suited for power applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.