Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could I use a generic USB sound adapter to record at 192kHz on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles80

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'd like to know if I'd use a generic USB microphone adapter (one which has a 3.5mm audio IN, as the first cheap ones found on eBay, don't know if I can post links to report examples) to record audio (using a plugged-in 3.5mm external microphone) at 192kHz sample rate, for example using Audacity software on my computer.

To give you some context (and maybe some good ideas if you're interested in this too and actually manages to work :lol:) I'd need to record at such high sample rate in order to record animal-emitted ultrasounds and I think I stand correct if an audio sample can play/show (if using a spectrogram) only frequencies as high as half its sample rate (according to Nyquist theorem).

Of course I'd need an external microphone capable of picking up such frequencies, but I think that replacing the built-in electret microphone of a generic microphone with a suitable one is easy by means of soldering.

I'm asking this because I don't know nor have technical knowledge to understand if either such an USB mic adapter or a generic 3.5mm external microphone-circuit (even after replacing the electret microphone) has filters to prevent 192kHz sampling and thus effective audio recording in the 50kHz frequency ultrasound range.

Any comment/help is welcome, if you see any flaws please point them out ;-)

Thank you

Hi Charles,

It was an interesting topic.
Hope the following link on may be useful for you. https://www.ni.com/white-paper/14044/en/

I do not have any experience, but as an engineer, I think you need to get a specific product.
In this link, the author was looking for something like your's. **broken link removed**
The amplifiers and other circuits may not be designed for such a large bandwidth. However, it has to be tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back