Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB schematic capture + layout software for Pandaboard (OMAP)-based design

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchytheory

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm getting the tools together for a Pandaboard (OMAP4460)-based design. This system will be for a robotics application, so I'll be removing much of the peripherals, such as Ethernet and HDMI, and expanding its functionality to include two camera ports.

I'm trying to choose the right software for this job. My budget is several hundred dollars (definitely not any more than $1000), but I can't give any specific number as I have no idea what professional-level software goes for. I'm coming from EagleCAD freeware for simpler projects. Also, I'd prefer software that has a good library of high-level components (like the OMAP) built-in, but I'm not sure if that's possible or if I'll have to build the component package myself.

Thanks in advance!

It's better to build your own library. Because even the most expsnsive Schematics/PCB tool might not give you an exhaustive set of library that covers almost every component.

Eagle offers non-free packages that would suit your needs.

Altium is already quite a bit more expensive (5k $ or so). They used to have a way to "rent" the SW for a period, not sure if that is still the case.

Eagle offers non-free packages that would suit your needs.

Altium is already quite a bit more expensive (5k $ or so). They used to have a way to "rent" the SW for a period, not sure if that is still the case.

Is Eagle suitable for a PCB of that complexity? I know the free version has a limitation on the number of layers in a board, and the Pandaboard exceeds it with about 10 or so.

Also, where can you get these nonfree packages? I've tried to find TI libraries that include the OMAP, but have not had any luck so far.

Is it suitable? Sure. Are more expensive options better? Off course. If you plan several of these project over the next few years, it might be a good idea to do it right right away..

As a rule of thumb, you always end up doing libraries and components yourself. Altium, however, works together with major vendors and offers a lot of vendor approved libraries. TI is included but as far as I can see your CPU is not. You can actually request a certain component but I've never tried that so that may or may not be a dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back