Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing an amplifier for a RF front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

per_lube

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm working on a cheap receiver development for a point to point communication link working @11 GHz.
I'm using schottky diode detector as the receiver and can detect signals which are @ -35 dBm only with diode detector.

In order to improve the sensitivity, I'm planning to have LNA before the diode detector.
I found this one SKYWORKS SKY65013-92LF Cascadable Amplifier LF–12 GHz(https://www.skyworksinc.com/uploads/documents/200359B.pdf) which is very cheap (< $2) and easy to use (I/O 50 ohm matched).

However, Noise figure is 5.8 dB. Will this create problems if I use this one to amplify the received signals?

Could anyone explain me what might be the problems could occur with this amplifier?

cheers,
per_lube

NF will decrease MDS level but it's not an issue seriously because MDS is much lower than your detection level.If you use -for instance-10dB Gain amplifier, your detector will sense practically -45dBm.
Also, you may realize an LNA with much lower NF by using of discrete elements.It's an option to,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back