Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer motherboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_england

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
:sad:Please help me regarding the motherboard problem my m/b is msi and problem is when smps is on its get auto on and only cpu fan is rotates but no display on monitor i have checked changing the ram but the problem is same please help me to troubleshoot the circuit.:sad:

Can be lots of things, but first try this:

You say PSU (PC power supply is on), and PCU fan rotates but no display on monitor. You change RAM and problem stay.

- Check connection of PSU connector with motherboard. Is there some blacked/burned pins in connector ?

- Is there some beep sound when PC booting ?

- Replace VGA card or reinsert it. Try to clean PCI/AGP/PCIe pins on card, and slot on motherboard with very small and precise brush.

- Remove all Rmodules of RAM, clean pins connections and also clean sockets on motherboard with small brush.

- Remove CPU, check cooling paste and heatsink mounting.

- Check Reset and Power buttons on PC case, that are not jammed.

Hello peter_england,

take a look to the electrolytic capacitators on the motherboard. Sometimes the have open their hat. :sad:

Regards

Rainer

Hi Peter! you must tackle the problem step by step to isolate the cause of failure. First, confirm that it is computer, monitor or VGA cable problem. If monitor and VGA cable turns out to be ok, then it may be computer itself. Then check everything as mentioned by tpetar and rfredel. But remember, perform one action at a time then observe its result, if computer restores then well and good otherwise proceed to next action, and so on and so forth until computer is ok.

Hi, all and first thanks to replay me for solving my prob. yes all things mentioned here are done by me but sad to say no success in the same; but can you gyes help me to troubleshoot the problem further? in chiplavel tracing of problem ? thanks in advance.:grin:

Hi, all and first thanks to replay me for solving my prob. yes all things mentioned here are done by me but sad to say no success in the same; but can you gyes help me to troubleshoot the problem further? in chiplavel tracing of problem ? thanks in advance.:grin:
Hi Peter! sad to hear that you could not get it right. Anyway, chip level repair work on these days' computers is left for specialzed labs only due to the use of SMD components, which I think would not be so easily available and will be not so cheap. If you are sure that its due to a faulty chip, try to contact the manufacturer of the computer for the after sale repair services if available by them. Good luck!
N.B : Just watch this video to assess can you handle this yourself :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kyaz4Zrd78&feature=related

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.